Monday, September 19, 2011

Aurora

This isn't really something that I made, but it is an example of when sewing skills come in handy. You see, towards the end of last year I went yard shopping. A lot. In fact it was kind of a hobby for me and my sisters, and we had fun trying to see what we could buy with our spare change which surprisingly enough often times totaled $3 and some change. Now on one particular weekend when I had a bit more change in my pocket we found out about a "huge neighborhood yard sale" that we were so excited about. In fact, my s-i-l thought it was on Friday, but it was actually only on Saturday. So I called up all of my sisters and we all met there around the same time. Unfortunately, by that time there were only about 4 yard sales left, and one was more of a tiny stand of things at the end of the driveway. But, it was okay because I found a gem in one of the yard sales. It was a fundraiser and so many people had donated to it- just a hodge podge of stuff. But there on a table I saw her. A huge, plush Aurora. My sister pointed her out and we walked over to check her out. She was awesome. She had velvety hair that can never be tangled, the ability to be washed, and she was about the same size as my daughter. I foolishly asked the price instead of making an offer, but honestly, $2 was worth it. I stuffed her in a bag and hid her so my daughter wouldn't see. Aurora was washed and then waited the last few weeks before Christmas stuffed in a closet. Now, I think I knew before I bought her that she had a popped seam at the back of her neck, and I could have forgotten because at the end of last year I had a lot on my plate, but I was less than happy when I pulled her out to wrap her and found that popped seam. I should have fixed it then, but something preoccupied me and before I knew it, she was wrapped. Fast forward to Christmas when Lucy opened the box was so incredibly excited to find Aurora, she pulled her out of the box and danced all around with her. But thing after thing kept me from fixing it and before I knew it, it was February. Lucy was playing with Aurora own stairs when she finally noticed the seam.

She was very concerned as she showed me the "owie" on her doll, so I finally pulled out my needle and thread and fixed her right up. It took less than 5 minutes.



But all it fine in the land of Lucy and Aurora, and she still loves that doll. They ply ring around the rosies, and have a sleep over every night in Lucy's big girl bed. What a great best friend Aurora has turned out to be! :) Oh and I can't wait till Sunday to give Lucy the mini Snow White I found at another yard sale for $1. She's going to LOVE her! :D

No comments: